Doing it all over: XDraw 2.0

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Hi,

after reading about some nice ideas from kainhart. I decided to start it all over.
Not that I want to reinvent the 'X', but may be the 'Draw' could need a new coating ;)

These are the major interests behind this:

• Create clean, well documented code (XDraw 1.x ist quite the opposite of this)
  • Follow general software design rules (Kbd-Shortcuts, menu/toolbar arrangement, ...)
  • Provide a Visual Studio (2010) plugin
  • Provide a way improved stand alone Application
  • Seperate project into different modules to allow reuising stuff like the Brush-Editor or evnen the XAML-Drawing editor in you own applications.
  • [tbc.]

Because this will get a bit larger than it was so far, it would be nice if some developers out there could assist me doing this.
I will create a rough design document over the next days and weeks.
This wil also contain the overall modularization, and by this allow to assign the tasks to different people.

If no one can find the time to contribute to this project, then it will be done as well, it just will take a bit longer (or even a byte longer (o; ).

Please reply to this thread if you have ideas, feature requests or if you want to contribute.

Reinhard.

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM
Edited Aug 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I've started the SW design docs here [XDraw2_0_DesignDocs] (how do I add links here? You can find the link @Home as well)

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Hi,

for all who thought this project is dead I want to give a little proove that this isn't the case.

A while ago I made an little application for someone, which is already based on an early version of the XDraw 2.0 Control library.
The zooming, paning, selecting, ... works quite well. Also the new object model which will allow to use the editor control for way more purposes than just xaml drawings is already working.

You can see a screen shot of it in the documentation at the 'Screen shots from XDraw 2.0' section.

Reinhard.

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Progress on XDraw2 is slow but steady.

Loading dictionaries and modifing existing geometries is working already.
The code is now way more clear and compact by using strictly all available WPF features like Binding when ever possible (and reasonable of course).

I have planned to make some kind of CTP releases every now and then.
The 1st one should have more or less the same functionalitry as XDraw 1.x.
I hope I can do this within the next few weeks.

I'll inform you about the differences to XDraw 1.x and all new features here from time to time as well.

Reinhard.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Looking forward to test 2.0, when will you post the code?

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I think I will post the code with the CTP's.
The interfaces are changing a lot at the moment, so relying on them is not recomended.
But the 1st CTP is at least two or three weeks away. Unfortunately I can only work a few hours per week on it.
Currently it is not possible to load or save (loads always the same dictionary at startup). Add or remove geometries is also not possible so far.
All you could do is limited modifying the loaded ones (which works quite well already).

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:41 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I am very curious for XDraw 2.0.... I was looking but could not find it in SVN.

Feature requests: Grouping and rotation.

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2011 at 7:28 AM

That is because it is not in SVN so far.

Currently there is one week left of my Summer vacation.
Some of this week I will spend on my OpenSource projects, so check it out by the end of next week.
I won't promise anything, but I hope I can create a more or less stable preview.

About the features:
Grouping is set
Rotation is something I have planed, but I not 100% sure I I would implement it (specially loading/saving from/to xaml).

Reinhard.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Good!

osre,you are No.1

We'll always support you!

Come on!

Coordinator
May 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Edited May 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I have some good news:

I will release an early preview by the end of this week.
A lot of features are still missing, like:

• loading (loads a specific file at startup so far)
  • saving (no menu entry for this)
  • adding geometries

Most of the missing stuff is already started, or i have tried it out alredy in a sandbox.

Currently I'm integrating some external libraries like

As soon as all major features of V1.x are implemented, I will release a Beta.
So XDrwa 2.0 will have not so many new features, but the UI will be way improved.

Here are some features that will be definatelly new in XDraw 2.0:

• Multiselect
  • Improoved Brush and Pen Editors

These things will be changed in XDraw 2.0:

• Loading and saving will use Markup.XamlReader and Markup.XamlWriter
  • There will be no extra file anymore. All necessary info is stored as xml comment inside the xaml file

I can't give you a realease date for XDraw 2.0 so far, but if I can make some more progress over the weekend it should not take too long anymore.

To make waiting a bit shorter: Check out some new screenshots here.

Reinhard.

Coordinator
May 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

The preview is available as binaries here

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM

As promised: The source code of XDraw2 is online.

I'ts the same functionality as Preview1, but the code is a bit cleaned up

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:22 AM
thxs,osre..
I've waited for you so long time.
what's your plan, now?
osre, are you there still?
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2014 at 7:14 AM
I'm still alive, but time is as always a rare resource.
Also MS has released Expression Design 4 for free.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36180

So work is really stuck here.
This does not mean XDraw is dead, because the engine would be usable in your own programs too, but currently I have to focus on other things.
Sorry for that.
Feb 10, 2014 at 2:43 AM
I'm so sorry to hear it,
but thanks for your work yet.
Apr 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM
How about including parts of your Code to the XAML Editor of Sharp Develop? It lacks Geometry Editing support...
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM
My original plan would have been to create a VisualStudio plugin, and for Express users the standalone application.
But as written above, my time to work on open source projects is very limited.
Other stuff must be done 1st.
Nov 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM
I currently work hardly at the SharpDevelop WPF Designer! If it's okay for you, I would use some of your Code to improve the Path support on the Project! License should be no problem, since SD is now also "MIT" Licensed
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:32 AM
jogibear9988 wrote:
I currently work hardly at the SharpDevelop WPF Designer! If it's okay for you, I would use some of your Code to improve the Path support on the Project! License should be no problem, since SD is now also "MIT" Licensed
That's the reason why it's open source: Of course you can use the code.